The Partnership for Success initiative (PFS) in Cumberland/Salem County was formed to expand and enhance the Salem-Cumberland Regional Action Toward Community Health (SCRATCH) Coalition. We have a several primary focuses in Cumberland and Salem counties.
Partners for Success (PFS) initiatives address five priority areas which include:
- Underage Drinking
- Prescription Drug Abuse
- Tobacco Prevention Efforts
- New Jersey Returning Veterans (NJRV)
- Older Adults (Seniors)
The Cumberland/Salem Region PFS will make outreach efforts to community organizations and provide underage drinking prevention awareness to parents of youth 12-25 years of age by sponsoring “Parents Who Lose The Most” programs. Expanded efforts will include Awareness Campaigns, Town Hall meetings, Fake ID trainings. The PFS will also promote ordinances and legislation that will address DWI enforcement.
The PFS will support and expand existing services to local organizations who serve New Jersey returning veterans and their families by organizing a conference that will promote the goals of the PFS project and engage them in Regional Coalition efforts.
The PFS will expand efforts to address the prescription drug abuse epidemic by raising awareness on safe and proper disposal of unwanted, unused and expired medication and advocating for additional drop boxes within the Cumberland /Salem Counties. The PFS project will focus on the 12-25 year old population to include awareness events and seminars concerning the harmful effects of the misuse and abuse of prescription drugs.
Additionally, efforts to promote legislation that limits access to and the use of, tobacco products, especially by those under the age of 18 will be addressed through the PFS goals and objectives.
Lastly, the PFS will establish an Older Adult Task Force that will provide opportunities to Seniors (60 years and older) to promote peer to peer education and advocacy in the following areas: prescription drug abuse and safe disposal procedures, prevention of tobacco use within the housing complexes, and the promotion of healthy activities within the Senior Nutritional Sites/Centers in the Cumberland/Salem County region.
The PFS services were formed under a grant distributed by the New Jersey Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services beginning January 2014.
• Awareness seminars provided for youth 16-21 at local Cumberland County community organizations about Prescription Drug Abuse and Underage Drinking.
• Safe disposal postcards disseminated at local community events throughout the Salem/Cumberland County Region.
• Partnered with Catholic Charities to host a half-day conference for veterans at the armory in Vineland.
• Older Adult education workshops on prescription drug abuse and proper disposal of prescription medications held at the housing authority in Cumberland County.
• Promoted awareness education on Prescription Drug Abuse, Underage Drinking, and Tobacco prevention at various community events throughout Cumberland/Salem County Region.
• Provided information about selling to minors to local tobacco and alcohol retailers and encouraged them to hang “We Check for ID” signs.
For more information on the Partnership for Success in Salem/Cumberland County, please contact Gloria McCoy at 856.794.1011 ext. 318 or email@example.com